Colloque international “Japan: Premodern, Modern and Contemporary—A Return Trip from the East to the West. Learning in, about and from Japan”
The Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures (Japanese Department) at the “Dimitrie Cantemir” Christian University, with the support of its collaborators from Kobe University, Kyoto University and Kanda University of International Studies, is pleased to announce organizing the fifth international conference “Japan: Premodern, Modern and Contemporary—A Return Trip from the East to the West. Learning in, about and from Japan”, on September 4-6, 2017 in Bucharest, Romania. The conference will be followed on September 7 by student workshops and a visit to the Romanian Museum of Collections.
The topics of the conference include, but are not limited to:
- Literary studies
- History and (inter)cultural studies
- Language studies and linguistics
- Mythology and Folklore
Professor Chikako Masuda (Kansai University): “The Battle of Imphal and Hino Ashihei’s Literature”
Professor Yoshikazu Suzuki (Kobe University): “現代日本語条件文の意味と用法”
Alan Scott Pate (specialist in Japanese dolls)
A selection of papers will be published in the Annals of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures of “Dimitrie Cantemir” Christian University (IDB indexed journal; last issue available at http://aflls.ucdc.ro/doc/anale1_2016.pdf).
There is no participation fee.
Guidelines for submission
- The language for presentation will be English, but papers may also be given in Japanese, on condition that the presenter provides PowerPoint slides or detailed handouts in English. (発表言語：英語、または日本語。日本語の場合、英語による資料の配布・スライドの提供が望ましい。)
- Individual presentations will be 20 minutes long, followed by 10 minutes for discussion with the floor; proposals should be up to 300 words (日本語による発表要旨の場合：500字程度). Each proposal should include the name, title and affiliation of the presenter.
- Panels should have at least three members (three presenters or two presenters and a discussant) and a maximum of four members (four presenters or three presenters and a discussant). Panel proposals should include the title of the panel and a general abstract of up to 300 words, plus a 250-word abstract for each paper (日本語による要旨の場合：パネルの全体要旨=500字程度、各自の要旨=350字程度). The name, title, and affiliation of each member should also be included.
- Submission deadline is June 1, 2017. Selection results will be announced at the end of June.
- Proposals for virtual presentations via Skype will also be considered. The submission guidelines and procedures are the same as for regular presentations (see above). Please mention in your application that you will be presenting via the internet.
- Please send your proposals as Word file or PDF attachments, and any inquiries to: confjapan (a) gmail.com
We look forward to seeing you in Bucharest!