Visiting Fellowship, Tohoku University
CNEAS Visiting Fellows Call for Applications
(Fellowship period two to six months in October 2020-September 2021)
The Center for Northeast Asian Studies, Tohoku University, is seeking visiting fellows. Our center has a visiting fellowship program to promote cooperative research activities with distinguished researchers in Northeast Asian Studies who belong to research institutes abroad. In this program, researchers accepted as visiting scholars will be provided with traveling costs from/to home countries and a salary to cover living expenses in Japan*, as well as various research resources of the Center and opportunities to carry out cooperative research with CNEAS staff and faculty.
Successful Visiting fellows will be provided with their own office with a desk and internet connection. They can also use the university library and have full access to the university-subscribed electronic journals. They may use the university accommodation during the scholarship program but in case of no vacancy they will need to find a private flat with the aid of the host researcher.
* approximately 400,000 yen to 600,000 yen per month, depending on the applicant’s present status.
Fellowship Posts and Periods
Available posts for researchers in the natural sciences: 2 to 6 posts for every fiscal year.
Available posts for researchers in the social sciences and humanities: 2 to 6 posts for every fiscal year.
The fellowship period should consist of a continuous period of a minimum 2 months to a maximum of 6 months during the period of October 2020 to September 2021.
Researchers accepted as visiting scholars are required to give at least one lecture on their research topic during their stay in CNEAS, and are also required to write a short essay on their studies for our Center newsletter. They are also welcome to contribute to Northeast Asian Studies, an interdisciplinary journal of the Center.
Applicants are required to satisfy all of the following conditions:
1) Researchers who have academic achievements in Northeast Asian Studies or whose academic achievements are expected to contribute methodologically to Northeast Asian Studies.
2) Researchers who have PhD degree or whose academic achievements can be evaluated as equivalent to those of PhD holders.
3) Researchers who had contacted any of the permanent research staff of CNEAS (host researcher) in advance and had his/her agreement on the acceptance of them as cooperative researchers.
4) Researchers may neither hold Japanese nationality nor hold permanent job posts in Japan.
5) Researchers must be under 70 years old.
Applicants are required to submit their applications via our online form. Please send the completed online application form in PDF format by E-mail to:
Applications for the 2020-2021 visiting fellowship must reach us no later than December 31, 2019. Applicants will be notified of the results by the end of March 2020 by e-mail. Individual queries about the results of selection sent prior to this time by email, fax, or telephone will not receive a response.